Collection: Part 2

Research 2

Crowd in Tokyo

As for primary research, I looked into how the exterior of the train can express the crowded interior of it . The biggest view behind the windows are what we see from the platforms. After thinking it through and looking at this photograph, it is too much to involve the subway station and it's workers for this project. Involving various people in the background of  thees photos might also be hassle. I needed to change locations. 

Comfort Zone

As a experimentation, I asked Natsuki to replicate the photo of a man being pushed against the train window due to the massive amount of passengers on the train. This first photo helped me realise I need a strong glass window for the participants to push again. With just a piece of acetate, the results will no be clear. 

Thomas Ruff Photographs 1979-2017

To capture and broadcast missions taking place at night in low-light vision cameras. The way these low light vision cameras transferred on photographs really interested me. The way light was sensitive, and for me it felt like the light sources were representation of where the energy came from. I would like to use various settings on the camera to see the different outcomes. 

Thomas Ruff Photographs 1979-2017

From seeing these large scaled portrait photographs, what I first felt was the smart curation of the space Ruff was given. Those identity photographs were reminiscent of billboard or light box advertisements which more looked like a sculpture piece rather than JUST a series of photographs. 

Karla Black- Modern Art Museum 

Her combination of elements bring a new material or source of idea for Karla Black. This is a result of pure experimentation. I wanted to use her technique of using paint as a form of glue and combining other materials to it.

Karla Black- Modern Art Museum 

These glass panels emphasised the importance of mark making, which made me think of the importance of decision making. 

Storyboard

For my music video I want to use these moving shots, and to express the smoothness of it, I want to film my video in curves. 

DV8 Physical Theatre - The Cost of Living "Believe" Dance 

This dance was the video that inspired me to work on a music video. From the small movements rhythmically danced on each beat, the dance movements got larger and larger, expressing more facial expressions. I was very inspired how the small movements can be exaggerated into such big movements expressing so many emotions. As I watched this video, I felt the increase in joy as the music progressed and the dancer danced freely. 

The Human and Animal Locomotion Photographs by Eadweard Muybridge

This collection of photographs helped me realise the importance of capturing each motion, and the beauty of the human form. The way living animals move is very important as each movement leads to another, and I think the beauty of this is being ignored as something normal amongst us. 

The Kimono Inspiration by The Textile Museum, Washington DC

This style of women kimono interested me, as the layers sort of looked like noodles. The humorous point of view I had motivated me to look into the different types of kimonos. 

Bazaar

This magazine helped me guide through what a fashion magazine looks like, and it gave me ideas for the layouts I was planning to create when publishing my own magazine. The styling that went into it, and the colour balance between each spread is a perfect example for mine. 

1 Granary

I looked at the fashion garments designers often draw, and I found that they are all various material, expressing different emotions depending on the model/outfit. This magazine showed a lot of the different styling techniques that I can adapt to when I am planning for a shoot.

A View of North: Identity, Photography, Fashion

These series of photos drew my attention at the end of the gallery. The techniques used in these photos were something I liked and wanted to try. The discolouration on the left top indicated some kind of disfunction to me. By mirroring the image and adding CG, more dimension appeared. The blurred background with smoke is a great idea when portrait shooting, and I want to replicate that in my future shoot.

This piece was an interactive piece, requiring for the audience to physically listen to the video. I liked how interactive it was, as it manipulated the audience to think and act a certain way. I would like to create pieces that involve the audience, and to find and create ways to lead the audience to think why the artists did certain things. 

I love this photo, as the black and white adds to the simplicity of this photo. The scale difference between the female figure and the child figure is massive, it brought out a sense of humour in me. Despite the sensitive feeling and the awkward mood between them is expressed in this one frame. I find this very attractive and interesting. 

Can Graphic Design Save Your Life

This gallery allowed me to think of various way graphic design is used in our society today. The cigarette packagings and its advertisements interested me since having an interaction results from an audience was required. The way these graphic designers manipulated how the audience saw things and felt things really interested me.

Text

Street Portraits -1946-1976- by Jules Aaron

This photograph is a piece that has many clues to its background. As the subject is looking above the lens, it triggers the audience to guess and think of what she is looking at. This is an effective way to grab the audience's attention, as they have to think about the story behind the piece. The garment she is wearing might also reveal her religious beliefs or where she is from. 

This photograph inspired me to use the windows as a prop on my photographs. Either the workers inside the shop, or the reflection on the windows, I visualised another idea for my future project. The way the window fades away the subject is something I really enjoyed observing. 

Japan's Modern Divide by Hiroshi Hamaya and Kansuke Yamamoto

This final photograph captured the most attention as I went through this book. The way the body overlays with the photograph of the boats tells a story. This piece made me think. The title of this is called, "A Forgotten Person" (1958) which gives us audience a clue of the story, however as there is no description on it, we have to think deeply into what the story might be. I want to be able to capture and create such moments and pieces. 

This photographic piece is a collage symbolising the Hiroshima war, the rose flowers of exploding black gunpowder express the violent and chaotic environment. The methods of capturing various emotions through photographs inspire me to work and be confident in using collage as photographic pieces. 

Street Style by Ted Polhemus

These looks again are, "the supermarket of styles", showing a variety of looks. This page really found a spot in my heart due to the Japanese culture shown here. Western street style and subcultures were an inspiration for these Japanese people. This altered form of western street style and subculture can be incorporated in my styling. 

Street Style by Ted Polhemus

The Acid Jazz style is something I looked into because of the primary colours used on their garments. I think the combination of these three primary vivid colours on their clothing draw attention to them, therefore allowing for their jazz music to spread. 

Street Style by Ted Polhemus

I want to copy the use of vivid colours, like how the psychedelics incorporated their colours in their looks. These vivid colours attracted attention, especially when unlikely, clashing shades juxtaposed in the manner of Andy Warhol's recent paintings. 

Street Style by Ted Polhemus

As comparison, I looked into British "bikers" and they were often called the coffee-bar cowboys and ton-up boys. The subculture of motorcyclists happened in the 1950s, and they were called the coffee-bar cowboys since they met up in isolated roadsides to drink coffee and challenge each other to impromptu bike races.

Street Style by Ted Polhemus

The bikers' style consisted of "hard-looking outfits" which I though was a form of protest or an act of rebel. However after reading the text, many of them were servicemen who recently returned from war, who found it difficult to adapt in post-war America. 

Crowd in Tokyo

If we worked on a smaller scale, and moved everything into the train carts, I could possibly create a photography piece based on the crowed spaces given on a train everyday. However, that would capture too many people at once, which is capturing all their identities without consent, which Japanese people do not like the most. By bring the scale down, I feel like I can do something with the original idea of pushing the faces against the acetate. 

Comfort Zone

Second participant for my experimentation was G. We moved locations to see if this window was better. However the grids were a problem, as it doesn't accurately portray and imitate the train windows. Instead, I will go back to the previous location and ask another model to just press their faces on the window without using any power from hands. 

Thomas Ruff Photographs 1979-2017

The scans of overlaying the two sides of photographs is a method I was looking into before I viewed this piece. The technique of overlaying has become an essential part in expressing an idea or story behind the photographs. In this case, the writings represent history, however by replicating it myself, I will not show any history which is the problem. 

Thomas Ruff Photographs 1979-2017

Through out this gallery, there were many interactive pieces of work, however the most intriguing one that drew the most attention was this piece. It was called, "jpeg" and Ruff again concentrated on the ideas of blurring and pixelating an image. He enlarges small images pf natural and manmade disasters to a huge scale, which I think draws attention to the way we view the world today and out ignorance. 

Karla Black- Modern Art Museum 

Karla Black mixed vaseline and paint, sealed between two glass panels. I want to mix media into paint to create a new texture, allowing creativity and impromptu choices. 

Text

Karla Black- Modern Art Museum 

Now the material has changed into a cloth. Looking at Karla Black's different forms of mark making, it gave me a realisation of attempting with new material. The importance of material research, and trying out new forms and thinking outside of the box. 

Storyboard

Learning this track shot, a new desire of mine to use a drone appeared. The storyboard of the figure moving, shot from above gave me an idea of my next film. I wanted to make a continuation of this music video, telling a story this time. This can be filmed by a drone, allowing more fluidity in the camera work. 

Zero Degrees, Akram Khan Company

Despite this not being a music video, this also taught me the importance of language, and the small signs we unconsciously do while we talk. By watching them synchronise, I chose to use two people in my video. I liked the way humans attempted synchronising, however when the flaws appear, it is humanly and I find it interesting. 

For instance, I thought the movement of a human body playing tennis, getting ready for a serve was very beautiful. Especially the clothing she was wearing allowed the cuts and crevices to flow on top of the body, creating waves. I think capturing these movements are very important as a method to observe and learn. 

This kimono is once again worn by a women, however I can tell the difference in hierarchy. From the drawing, I suspect the material of the garment cheaper, and less durable. By creating a comparison of the two different garments worn by women might be an interesting topic. 

Bazaar

This Valentino spread really caught my attention, due to the scale of this photograph but due to the perfect styling and makeup that went into this shoot. The models all are balanced equally in this one frame, and the facial expressions given from the models were one of a kind. 

1 Granary

The way artists draw is very interesting for me, as I can visualise the garment on each of the bodies, expressing different tones and emotions. I realised that patterns play a big role in how the audience's thoughts and ideas are manipulated. 

Again, what drew my attention was how confident and happy the figure in the model looked like. The figures all presented in this frame are in motion, indicating the liveliness of the scene. I like how the photograph looks like they are about to protest for something, however the expressions on their faces all show joy and happiness, which I liked. 

Magazines at the time mainly focused on the major cities such as London, Paris and New York. During the 1980s, magazines focused on capturing the daily lives of people, therefore leading in image-makers traveling to Northern cities. I think this method and era kick started the photographs of human interaction without any fake acting or modelling. I want to look further into the photographs taken in this era. 

What drew my attention for this photograph is the colour combination with the sweatshirt and the model's hair colour. The usage of the primary colour when styling the model was very successful. The background also symbolise and play a large role in expressing the North living. 

Can Graphic Design Save Your Life

Again, the methods of graphic design used in hospitals and in medical fields really interested me. A field of art and a field of mathematics collaborating intrigued my perspectives in reasons when creating a graphic design piece. I would like to research into the more technical aspect of graphic design and how it is used in the industry. 

I liked this photographs due to the various facial expressions captured from this photograph. It gives out so much joy in one frame, and what I liked about this photograph the most was the title: "Mister take my picture I: West End". The sense of innocence expressed through the title gave me joy. 

This photograph captured my eyes as it held so much emotion in one photography. The grandmother had an expression of disgust when I first saw it, however as I looked into it, I thought of various stories that could of went behind this photograph taken in Greece, "The Wall: Greece". 

This piece is called,"Rest" taken in the Niigata prefecture of Japan in 1955. I loved this photo as it again captured a random moment of these people's lives. Despite the audience thinking it might be a meaningless moment, the photographers and the subject shared a moment together, which already tells a story. 

Text

This photograph called the Calendar Days of Asa Hayama (1948-49) captures the true Japanese style wearing the kimono, in black and white indicating the age of this piece. This really inspires me to capture the daily life of people surrounding me, as they can be a chance of new realisations. 

Street Style by Ted Polhemus

This timeline visually aided me to see the fashion styles evolving through time. Seeing the hippies, psychedelics, swinging London, mods, and rockers come out at around the same time (1960s) interested me. 

Street Style by Ted Polhemus

These photos were all photographs of Japanese jazz acid enthusiasts at the straight no chaser fifth birthday party in London. Seeing Japanese people expressing their interests in a foreign country is very interesting to see, as I understand their tendencies to keep everything subtle and quite. 

Street Style by Ted Polhemus

The psychedelics interested me since their makeup and styling drew a lot of attention, and their unique history between the division of the "hard mods" and the "mods" lured me into researching more. The early mods discovered the menswear entrepreneurs like John Stephen. The Swinging London became the centre point of the Western world's popular culture (Carnaby Street). 

Street Style by Ted Polhemus

By comparing the American bikers and the British bikers, it inspired me to look into the different cultures and their street style. I will look into Japanese street style, and their garments that represent it's culture. 

Street Style by Ted Polhemus

Reading further into this, I learned that the bikers of late 1940s and early 1950s represented a radical departure from previous motorcycling subcultures and mainstream society. The concept of them being stylistically and ideologically outsiders with no interest in becoming insiders.

Crowd in Tokyo

For the last image, I wanted to kind of experiment with the moving trains, and capturing its movement of it. I think the blurred image of the subject added an interesting kick to it . Is there a way for me to capture how I feel about crowded areas? Depending on each participant, I should change locations, and interview and see what environment they feel the most comfortable at. Then the interview can be the research for comfort zone.

Comfort Zone

Like mentioned, the third experimentation turned out very nice. I realised the need of a heavier glass, and something that is moveable. I want the participants to hold onto the window as it draws more attention to the facial features. I will need to look for something that I can use, perhaps a thick acetate sheet, or even thicker?

Thomas Ruff Photographs 1979-2017

Thomas Ruff symbolised the rise of the internet and proliferation of pornography with his series called, "Nudes". These photos were in bad quality as he blurred out the piece, enabling the audience to see barely of these photos. This idea of blurring out reminds me of the on the street initial experimentation, where I focused on blurring my images, enabling the viewers to see barely of whats happening in my photos. 

Thomas Ruff Photographs 1979-2017

When I first saw these series of photographs, I did not notice the scary truth about it. They were created by a machine called the Minolta Montage Unit where Ruff used suspected criminal images to be a superimposing portraits. The serious theme of this piece might be the concepts of themes, however the fact that I could not spot what was wrong with these portraits might be a symbolism of us not paying attention around us. 

Karla Black- Modern Art Museum 

This close up image of her pure techniques of mark making has allowed me to look further into the importance of mark making when I am crafting. I now believe that mark making is a form of brainstorm.

Karla Black- Modern Art Museum 

This section of the gallery had a lot of pink fluff on the floor. Karla Black uses her materials freely, capturing whatever she is feeling at the moment, which I should have that freedom in my sketchbook. 

Storyboard

When I saw this slide in the beginning, I knew that I would be using this technique the most. By zooming in, a smoother transition between one scene to the next can be used through a zoom.

Jamie xx - Gosh

Although there is no way I will be able to produce such high-quality content in such a short time and low budget, this video inspired me to look into different perspective. The various ways to film a scene using props is an option, I chose to film all my music video in one shot, challenging myself to attempt a new way to film. 

Again in the same way, I thought the way a women danced was beautiful, specially with her dress. The flow of the dress depended on the moves the subject made. The things that lay on her body all depended on her movement. By taking a closer look at each of the movement, we can have a better understanding in how we move and work. 

This garment is worn by mostly male, who ranks in the higher end. It is interesting to see the differences in clothing depending on the gender of the subject. 

Bazaar

This caught my attention due to the usage of large amount of fur. As the model wore all fur, and the styling was very interesting. I think the way the photograph was taken and the way each product is able to be visible on one frame is amazing. As the photograph fills us the entire page, there is impact. 

1 Granary

I am constantly amazed by how the artists express different materials depending on what type of marker they use. A garment does not necessarily have to look like a garment, and the abstract part of styling is what creates creativity and uniqueness. 

Not only the fact that this outfit and choice of colour attracted me, but the confident models posing on this photograph drew my attention. I was able to sense the city-life that went behind the scenes, and the importance of how women were in this era. From the title, I was able to see they were dancers. 

These four blocks of photographs all tell a story, and I believe that these all complete as one. When expressing Northern images, media tends to relate on the subculture, music and the sports. Therefore, a highly masculine, heteronormative, oppressively white images dominate. These images showing how the male figures spent their life showed how the people lived up in the North. 

These photos shown in this gallery depicted the broader issues to do with the collective cultural understanding of Northern England. I think photograph expose the real-ness of the people living in the North, allowing the viewers to see what it is like to live there. The daily snap shots create a real atmosphere, which is what the audience wants.  

This photograph again expresses a lot of emotion. From the facial expressions, it is hard for the audience to guess what she was feeling, however it enables the audience to think for themselves. When I first saw it, I thought she was sad due to her slight frown, however when I asked to my peer, she though she was happy to get the photograph taken. I guess it depends on who views the piece.

This photograph of a small child is called, "Paperback in the Windows: West End". Again, I loved the reflection of the subject on the window with the products displayed on the windowsills. The expression the child is showing is also an intriguing part of this photograph. It grabbed my attention onto the subject immediately. 

This book captured street photographs from all over the globe, expressing the diversity of the nations. It showed me that no matter which countries these photographs were taken, the facial expression and the stories they had were all unique and shared the common theme of humans. 

Text

This piece again captured my attention due to the very modern look of this outcome. The way this artist placed collage pieces capture an emotion once again. I thought of shattered dreams, as the background showed no human existence, and it was very dark. The way they these shapes manipulate the audience is very interesting. Despite the only four photographs, it tells a story, and it depends on the audience's perception. 

This collection of photographs were all based in Japan, where I have an interest to look into my own heritage and my cultures. They way this photographer captured daily life of these Japanese citizens from both a modern and old era grabbed my attention. 

Street Style by Ted Polhemus

Again this is the continuation of the timeline showing different styles evolving through time. The 1960s was an interesting year as all the styles gathered into one style: the gathering of tribes, and the supermarket style.

Street Style by Ted Polhemus

I like going through looks like this, as they all represent a period of time. The cultural heritage behind these looks intrigued me. The bold colours and the garments called as "the supermarket of style" consisted of mods, punks, hippies, psychedelics, which I all found interesting. 

Street Style by Ted Polhemus

The patterns the hippies wore were introduced the very vague perspective on cultural patterns, and those really intrigued me. By looking at the types of garments they wore, the type of draping over the shoulders is something I want to look into while I style my model.

Street Style by Ted Polhemus

The skater style attracts my attention, as I feel a direct connection between their subculture. As we live in a modern era, the style we interact with subconsciously lures our decisions everyday. By looking at the layering techniques, and the choices of garments is what I want to use on my models. 

Street Style by Ted Polhemus

This book inspired me to look into the different types of street styles that exists today, and incorporate them into my looks. 

Fields marked by '*' are required.